In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner


Synopsis :

Meet Rose Feller, a thirty-year-old high-powered attorney with a secret passion for romance novels.  She has an exercise regime she's going to start next week, and she dreams of a man who will slide off her glasses, gaze into her eyes, and tell her she's beautiful.  She also dreams of getting her fantastically screwed-up, semi-employed little sister to straighten up and fly right.

Meet Rose's sister, Maggie.  Twenty-eight years old and drop-dead gorgeous.  Although her big-screen stardom hasn't progressed past her left hip's appearance in a Will Smith video, Maggie dreams of a fame and fortune - and of getting her big sister on a skin-care regimen.

These two woman, who claim to have nothing in common but a childhood tragedy, DNA and the same size feet are about to learn that they're more alike than they'd ever imagined.  Brought up by their father and step-mother, they are also discovering that they have a grandmother.  A sisterly fight broke them apart and each will go on their individual odyssey of self discovery.

I have a rather love/hate impression with Jennifer's books.  It started with much dislike when I first read this book and ended with the one just before this particular title.  However, my first introduction to what Jennifer Weiner offers is actually through a movie of In Her Shoes that I watched many years ago.  It was in 2005 that an American comedy-drama film based on the novel was released.  It is directed by Curtis Hanson with an adapted screenplay by Susannah Grant and stars Cameron Diaz, Toni Collette, and Shirley MacLaine. I think I watched it twice and loved it both times.

Such, I have always wanted to read In Her Shoes to see how similar or different the book is from the movie and the opportunity came when I managed to get hold of a copy at a book fair at the end of last year.  Even though I kinda say I wont rush to read another of Jennifer's title, I just have to read this particular one as you can say it's the one title that started it all.

So, did I enjoyed reading In Her Shoes?  A big yes, I certainly did.  It was slightly different from the movie but the core of the story is there and both Rose and Maggie were exactly as how I remember them from the movie.  Rose, the ever serious elder sister and Maggie, who hid her learning disability behind an attitude of flippancy.

And that romantic, bitter sweet and touching poem by E.E. Cummings that I so deeply love, it was so lovely to be read it again, against such heartfelt settings.

If nothing else, I will always rmember Jennifer Weiner for In Her Shoes and it's good enough.

Here is a trailer from the movie to entertain you.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg