Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner


Synopsis :

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body. 

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

I didn't have much good experience when I read Jennifer Weiner previously. Good Night Nobody left me rather annoyed with the main character that I am still annoyed with her after so many years.  This Guy Not Taken was a collection of short stories.  While I do like a few of the stories within this collection, it generally left me rather lost.

However, I always remember that in all these book, reference is made to one particular book and that is Good In Bed.  So, when I had a chance to grab a copy of this book at a rather discounted price, I gave it a try (I am nice like that :).  The verdict is ....I am glad I did!

Good In Bed is the best of what Jennifer Weiner has to offer so far.  The story is well written. While it's basically a pick it up and put it down anytime book, it was rather engaging in it's own way.  Cannie is as original and quirky as anyone can be.  I quite felt for her at many levels throughout the book.

I thought she's rather brave in going through what she has to go through with her father leaving the family when she was young and her still needing his approval when she's older.  I guess that translates to her relationship with her boyfriend Bruce and her going after him after their breakup.  While I marveled at her character and strength, I thought she went rather extreme towards the end of the book and I got slightly impatient with her.  I quite feel that after the author having brought her up to such heights, didn't really know how to bring her down and such, caused her to crash fast and furious!

All in all, in my opinion, Jennifer has redeemed herself with this title but that doesn't mean I would immediately go out and get another of her title. Somehow, I feel that this is all she has to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books