Goodnight, beautiful by Dorothy Koomson

Synopsis:

8 years ago, Nova Kumalisi agreed to have a baby for Mal and Stephanie Wacken.  Halfway through the pregnancy, the couple changed their minds and walked away, leaving Nova pregnant, scared and alone.

8 years ago, Stephanie was overjoyed as the thought of becoming a mother - until she found a text from Mal to Nova saying 'Goodnight, beautiful'. Terrified of losing her husband to his closest friend, Stephanie asked him to cut all ties to Nova and their unborn child.

Now, Nova is anxiously waiting for her son, Leo to wake up from a coma, while childless Stephanie is desperately trying to save her failing marriage.  Although they live separate lives, both woman have secrets that will bind them together for ever...

Finally, I completed this book.  It certainly took me a long time.  I started reading this years ago. Halfway through, I stopped and never picked it up.  Finally, earlier this year, I decided that it needed to be completed.  Because I quite forgotten the story from where I left off, I decided to catch up by starting it all over from the first chapter.   I started crying by the seventh page and continued on even after the last page.

Goodnight, beautiful is beautifully written in 2008 by Dorothy Koomson.  It is her fifth book and to me, it's one of the better ones.

I can't help but felt for Nova and all that she went through and is going through.  The pain that she felt when Mal and Stephanie walked out on their agreement and the pain that she is feeling with Leo in a coma.  It was just so sad.

I started the book with anger towards Stephanie but sympathise with her towards the end.   I can't really make up my mind about Mal.  In a way I understand him but on the other hand how could he really cut off contact with Nova but yet I can see that the action really damages him.

The only part about the book that I didn't like was that the story was told through current timeline and then flipped to the past and it could flipped to any timeline so it took a while to really follow the story through.  There's also no indication as to which character the chapter started with and I nearly resorted to pencil down the names just to help myself follow the story through. 

Having said that I am glad I finally read it although I went through a couple packets of tissue!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg