The Firm by John Grisham

Synopsis :

The law student : He was young and had his dreams. He'd qualified third in his class at Harvard, now offers poured in from every law firm in America.

The firm :  They are small, but well-respected.  They were prepared to match and then exceed Mitch McDeere's wildest dreams - eighty thousand a year, a BMW and a low interest mortgage.

Soon the house, the car and the job are his.  Then the nightmares begin : the secret files, the bugs in the new bedroom, the mysterious deaths of colleagues and the millions of dollars of mob money pouring through the office into the Cayman Islands, dollars that the FBI will do anything to trace.

Now Mitch stands alone in the place where dreams end and nightmares begin....

The Firm is as exciting to read now as it was years ago.  This to me, this is a classic novel, worthy to be called a thriller.

I can't remember how many times I read these since I bought the book almost 18 years ago (I wrote the year I bought it in the inside cover).  Each time I read it, years apart, I would consider it time well spent.

Mitch McDeere is a classic character, full of charm, wit and extremely clever.  I guess you have to be clever in order to take on the mob and get away with it. Took on the mob did Mitch McDeere and got away with it did he too.

Same goes to many other characters in this book - Abby, Mitch's wife, Doris/Tammy, his assistant and even the mob lawyers like Avery and Oliver and Nathan Locke were quite characters too.  Even Terrance, the FBI agent has his moment too.  

My interest in this wonderful book of which I can't sing enough praises :) was actually re-ignited recently when I saw that a new series with the same title is currently showing in AXN.  The series actually follows the story of Mitch and his family 10 years after this book took place.  I can't decide if I like the series as yet as I only managed to watch bits and pieces here and there  Have you seen it? Do you like it?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg