The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks

Synopsis :

In the spring of 1984, high school students Amanda Collier and Dawson Cole fell deeply in love.  Though they were from opposite sides of the tracks, their love for each other seems to defy the realities of life in the small town of Oriental, North Caroline.But as the summer of their senior year came to a close, unforeseen events would tear the young couple apart, setting them on radically divergent paths.

Now, twenty-five years later, Amanda and Dawson are summoned back to Oriental for a funeral. Neither has lived the life they imagined...and neither can forget the passionate first love that forever changed their loves.

Forced to confront painful memories, the two former lovers soon realize that everything they thought they knew - about themselves and the dreams they held dear - was not as it seemed.  And in teh course of a single, searing weekend, they will ask of the living, and the dead : Can love truly rewrite the past?

Having enjoyed reading The Rescue a while ago, I was quite eager to read another Nicholas Sparks.  I bought both books from a lady that wants to downsize her library.  I must say she and I have a bit of similar interest in  the type of books that we enjoyed as there are a few titles that I bought from her that I quite like. 

The Best of Me is officially my favourite title by Nicholas Sparks.  I just enjoyed the book so much that I decided that it belongs to my library and I will find a spot for it among other titles that I really really like.

The story you can say is about forbidden love and started with Dawson Cole surviving an explosion in an oil rig that killed a few of his friends.  During that moment of trying to stay alive in the sea, he saw a man that seemed to motive him along and that contributed to him being alive.  Returning to Oriental, he seems to glimpse this man there as well and each time, it was when he's about to face danger.

Amanda was Dawson's first love and now they are meeting for the first time in twenty five years and you can say most of the book took place during that weekend they are together.  The Best of Me has a rather bittersweet ending and I confessed that I cried buckets!  It was sad but it was a very good read.

The movie of The Best of Me was released in October 2014 and no, I have not seen it yet and I am happy to keep it that way.  In case you are interested, here is the official trailer for your viewing pleasure.  Enjoy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books