The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Synopsis:

This first novel in Alexander McCall Smith's widely acclaimed The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series tells the story of the delightfully cunning and enormously engaging Precious Ramotswe, who is drawn to her profession to 'help people with the problems in their lives'.  

Immediately upon setting up shop in a small storefront in Gaborone, she is hired to track down a missing husband, uncover a con man and follow a wayward daughter.  But the case that tugs at her heart, and lands her in danger, is that of a missing eleven year old boy, who may have been snatched by witch doctors.

After years of reading about Precious Ramotswe, I finally managed to get hold of a copy of her first book in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series.  I started the series from book two, Tears of the Giraffe and managed quite well since then with subsequent titles that I wasn't really keen to read the first book.  However, I decided it might if I can review the series in totality and am I glad I did.  The first book is great as it gives an insight into the past life of Mma Ramotswe.  There's the reveal about her father, baby Precious and girl Precious and also on life with her first husband who treated her badly.

Even though I didn't really follow the sequence in the series, it doesn't really matter as each book is pretty much stand along but to be able to read the first book does acquaint me better with Mma Ramotswe.

If you have not read this series, I encourage you to do so. It's very light read but yet enjoyable and pleasantly relaxing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books