Things I Want My Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble


Synopsis :

When Barbara realizes time is running out, she writes letters to her four daughters, aware that they'll be facing the trails and triumphs of life without her at their side.  How can she leave them when they still have so much growing up to do?

Take Lisa, in her mid thirties but incapable of making a commitment; or Jennifer, trapped in a stale marriage and buttoned up so tight she could burst. Twenty something Amanda, the traveler, has always distanced herself from the rest of the family and then there's Hannah, a teenage girl on the verge of womanhood about to be parted from the mother she adores.

But by drawing on  the wisdom in Barbara's letters, the girls might just find a way to cope with their loss. An in coming to terms with their bereavement, can they also set themselves free to enjoy their lives with all the passion and love each deserves?

It's been quite a while, yes? In case you have been wondering if I have stopped reading, the answer is no but I must admit that I am reading at an embarassing slow rate than what I used to.  First it was the festive season, then work came into the picture and now it's medical.  One of my eyes is suffering from 'cornea infection' which means to say, I am limited visually for the time being...I even have to type this with my eyes closed with an occasional peep to make sure that I got the words right.

Things I Want My Daughters to Know was given to me by another monther who has three kids.  Being a mum myself with a wonderful daughter, I was captivated by this book, eager to learn what other mothers would want their daughters to know.

So, did I learn from the book new wisdom that I can share with my daughter?  No, I didn't. Nothing new and certainly nothing  thought  provoking nor emotionally challenging.

It was rather a nominal book and nothing really stands out.  I don't think the author has enough life experience to be able to follow through with this subject. The theme doesn't really matched the contents of the book which was more focused on how the girls cope with their lives after their mother's death.  The feeling I get is that they would still react the same in situations in their lives even if their mother is alive. 

Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  I enjoyed more reading about Mark. Barbara's widow and the step father to Lisa, Jennifer and Amanda and biological father to Hannah.The author seems to be able to articulate his feelings much better.

If you have a chance to read this book do give it a try and it might speak to you although it didn't do so for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg