How do you decide which book to bring with you when you travel?

Or you dont read when you travel.

I will be out of the country for a week and one of the most complex decision I have to make before the trip is not what outfit to pack but which book to bring along with me.  You might laugh at me but whatever book I brought along, I would have no choice but to read it and sometimes I do bring the wrong book and ended up not liking what I am reading and not able to do anything about it can be pretty frustrating and can influence my mood for the trip.

this book makes me cry

For example, it would be a disaster to bring a book that tears me up when I do business travel as it would look odd and unprofessional for me to have bulgy eyes from too much crying. I still remember when I brought My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson with me during one such trip and I started reading while in the airport after I've checked in.  I also remember with horror that I started crying as I read while on the plane surrounded by many strangers who, if noticed my tears, might think that there's something wrong with me.

this book is very heavy

Hardcovers (and some paperbacks) are just too bulky and heavy to bring along on trips but they could be the title that you have been dying to read for quite a while and not willing to wait any longer.  So, should bulkiness and the weight be one of the consideration?  I think it would be quite inconvenient to lug around a monstrous book unless you are actually on a very long trip.

One point I can share is I try to start a new book with each travel.  This way, it my guarantee that the book would last me throughout the trip.  This is because I would deem it a disaster if I finish a book halfway into the itinerary and I don't have another back up book to read for the rest of the journey.  I guess I could buy a new book but since I have a lot of new books waiting for me at home, the last thing I want to do is to buy another new book and read it immediately. It would be such a betrayal to the rest of my books :), right?
So, is it a difficult decision for you on what book to bring with you when you travel?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg