A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks

Synopsis :

Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago.  As deputy sheriff of New Bern, North Carolina, he not only grieves for her and worries about their young son Jonah but longs to bring the unknown driver to justice.  Then Miles meets Sarah Andrews, Jonah's second-grade teacher.  A young woman recovering from a difficult divorce, Sarah moved to New Bern hoping to start over. 

Tentatively, Miles and Sarah reach out to each other...son they are falling in love. But what neither realizes is that they are also bound together by a shocking secret, one that will force them to reexamine everything they believe in - including their love.

When I posted that I am reading this book on FB, my well-read niece commented that it was a nice book.  That comment motivated me as I wasn't very sure at that time whether it would be good as I have some hit and misses with Nicholas Sparks in previous encounters.

This time round, unfortunately, it's more misses than hits,

While I don't dislike A Bend in the Road, I don't love it either.  It was a rather sweet story of two people drawn together.  However, its two people with much baggage and unfortunately one of the baggages came back and caused a rift in their relationship that might not stand the weight of it.

I don't like Miles Ryan.  He's so driven by guilt that he doesn't see the good thing that's in front of him.  He's rather a neglected dad to his cute son, Jonah who's just eight and also suffering from losing his mum.  He was quick to put the blame on one convenient person for his wife's death.

Sarah Andrew on the other hand seems to be rather weak and just let Miles stepped all over her, in quite similar fashion to her ex-husband although in a different context.  I wish she has a bit of guts in her.  Maybe you would say she did as what she did in the end to reveal the truth to Miles wasn't easy.

Having said all that, it wasn't that bad and pretty readable. Maybe I just have high expectation and if the author is someone unknown, I might say that it's a wonderful book.  Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg