The Devil and The River by R. J. Ellory

 


Synopsis :

When Sheriff John Gaines is called to the riverside, it is to supervise the recovery of the body of a teenage girl. The corpse is perfectly preserved, she could have died yesterday. But the locals of Whytesburg are in for a shock. For Nancy Denton, missing for two decades, has come back to them from the cold embrace of the riverbank.


This is what I say :

I wasn't really sure what I would be in for when I decided to start on this title.  Actually, I had meant to start on this title for quite a while but I kinda favor other titles over this until about a month ago that I decided to just go ahead with it.

This is my first time reading R. J. Ellory.  I was pleasantly surprise as I quite like the way this author writes.  He is quite eloquent with his writing and thus with an interested premise of a body that was preserved naturally for twenty years by nature itself, I thought this title as great potential.

Indeed, it was a good read.  Again, I really like the way this author writes and the way he described situation.  That is the saving grace for the book, for as the story develops, the plot kinda took a downward dive and I didn't like the progression of the story as much as when I first started reading it.

I didn't like the way the sheriff investigated the case. To me he didn't do much investigation. He practically just zeroed in on his hunch and bulldozed his way through without much consideration.  He kinda thought this person was the murderer and tried for the most part of the book to proof himself right.  Well, he was wrong!  Extremely annoying person!

Anyway, The Devil and The River is worth reading just to experience the way R. J. Ellory writes.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg