My visit to The Junk Bookstore

Photo taken from  Tripadvisor. Credit to the photographer (Manon M)

Actually, I went to The Junk Bookstore many years ago and this post has been on draft for many years.  I thought it's about time I just get it posted and out of the way.

Many years ago, while on a trip to the capital city, I was super excited to come across a bookstore that sells secondhand books.  They claimed in their FB that they are the biggest secondhand book store but never specify how they are the biggest.  In my opinion, they should claim to be the most expensive bookstore too!

Situated in Jalan Tun H.S Lee and within walking distance from Masjid Jamek LRT Station, The Junk Bookstore is not difficult to locate and if you love books, you can't help but to feel excited to enter this treasure trove.

Indeed they have a large collection of novels, magazines and other printed materials.  However, the place felt very clustered and books were not shelved but placed in piles throughout the shop with just a small walkway.

The though of sorting through these piles are both exciting and terrifying at the same time


The shop occupies two floors or was it three? and there are just books and books all over the place.  I guess if you have sensitive to dust like me, you might need to come prepared although it wasn't very dusty.  Credit has to be given to the staff for keeping the place relatively clean and the books in generally acceptable condition.  Most of the books are also wrapped in clear plastic.

If the price have been reasonable, I would end up buying more titles
The following would be the reason why I would never visit The Junk again..

The books are expensive! Some are even more expensive than new books that you can purchase from the mainstream bookstore.  For example, there's a title by Dorothy Koomson that I like but The Junk was selling their second hand copy for RM25 whereas I saw the same title (new copy) from another bookstore for only RM17

Perhaps it's rental and other cost?  I don't know but they should be more market sensitive in their pricing.  The same copy might be sold by another second handbook seller that does second hand book fairs once a year in my city for only RM10 which is more realistic.

On a final note, I went there specifically to look for Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruis ZafronThey didn't stock this title. Ah, well!

P.s. Until today I have not found my Prisoner of Heaven. It is indeed an elusive title.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books