A Great Leader & A Fellow Reader

Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Haji Adenan Satem (third from left). Image from his FB page


Quote :


"I can tell you that the worst thing in life is being stupid. And stupidity comes because you are ignorant. And ignorance comes because you never read any books in your life.

When I read a book, I am transported into another world. When I read War and Peace, I think of Russia and the Napoleonic Wars. When I read about the civil war in America, I'm a soldier. When I read Shakespeare, I'm back in the Elizabethan age.

Thank you to the efforts of Asia Foundation, University of Malaya, Pustaka Sarawak & Sarawak Foundation for the joint efforts to provide books for the people in Sarawak to read."


The above is a quote from Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Haji Adenan Satem in February 2016 during a launching event.

In another separate event I attended in 2015, his wife who was the Guest of Honour for that event said that Datuk Patinggi was a great reader and loved to buy books and read.

Datuk Patinggi was the Chief Minister of my state. He was much loved and respected by my people.   I can't think of another local leader who was as loved and adored by the people as he was.

He passed away on 11 January 2017.

My heart grieved.  Condolences to his family.  He will be missed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books