Home Front by Kristin Hannah

Synopsis :

All marriages have a breaking point. All families have wounds. All wars have a cost. . . .
 
Like many couples, Michael and Jolene Zarkades have to face the pressures of everyday life--children, careers, bills, chores--even as their twelve-year marriage is falling apart. Then an unexpected deployment sends Jolene deep into harm’s way and leaves defense attorney Michael at home, unaccustomed to being a single parent to their two girls. As a mother, it agonizes Jolene to leave her family, but as a soldier she has always understood the true meaning of duty. In her letters home, she paints a rose-colored version of her life on the front lines, shielding her family from the truth. But war will change Jolene in ways that none of them could have foreseen. When tragedy strikes, Michael must face his darkest fear and fight a battle of his own--for everything that matters to his family.

At once a profoundly honest look at modern marriage and a dramatic exploration of the toll war takes on an ordinary American family, Home Front is a story of love, loss, heroism, honor, and ultimately, hope.


Home Front has been sitting in my shelf for more than two years.  I always wanted to reserve certain books to read for certain occasions like when I am on a specific holidays or such but opportunities never seems to present itself for me to do so.

Until recently....where I have an unexpected one week break and the announcement of the break (in conjunction with a festive celebration) came rather last minute so I don't have time to plan for any trips, so it was very much a 'home-cation' that I had.  The princess was away at camp and in between some spring cleaning, I make time for my 'bookation' as  in 'book vacation' and it was certainly an enjoyable and guilt-free reading spree!

Home Front made it's debut in my reading plans and I had a grand time with Michael and Jolene and reading about their stories and what they went through and are going through.

Home Front deals quite a bit on PTSD of soldiers returning from war.  Michael was defending a war veteran suffering from PTSD accused of murdering his wife and Jolene herself had severe PTSD to deal with after suffering a physical disability upon her return from Iran.

There are some nice moments in the book but there are some annoying moments too and sand to say, I wasn't warm up to Michael and Jolene's two children - Betsy and Lulu.  I actually find them pretty annoying and clingy and all Betsy has to say to her mum is 'What is wrong with you?'  I don't think Kristin Hannah did a good job in developing these two characters.

All in all, I was happy to have Home Front's company during my recent 'home-cation'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg