The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


Synopsis :

The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.

A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years, The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic.



This is what I say :

I read The Kite Runner in two days.  Initially, I planned to read it within a week but it's the is a 'thief'. Why do I say that? Because this book steals my sleep and my time!

It's been a while since I come across a book that made me read late into the night bearing in mind that I normally have be be up around 5.30 am the next day.  Well, this book did just that.  We share the joy and innocence friendship of the two young boys until the day their innocence was robbed from them.  We share the love and care between father and son even though each have their secrets and guilt.  We share the pride and sorrow of a culture and tradition perhaps unlike our own.

The writing is smooth and beautiful and the story was captivating, compelling and sad at times and joyful at time too.  To think that this title has been on my bookshelf for about six years.  What other treasures do I have on my shelf?  I must go and excavate them out.

I seems to remember having A Thousand Splendid Sun on my shelf too. Let me go and do some treasure hunting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books