The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy



Synopsis :

Kit McMahon lives in the small Irish town of Lough Glass, where everyone knows everyone; children who walk to school together grow up and become sweethearts and marry, people gossip and grumble and dream their lives away. For it is a place where change comes slowly. 

One day, Kit's mother disappears and the town gossips run wild with stories. The consequences for Helen's husband, her son, but above all for her daughter, Kit, are unimaginable and will leave not one of their lives unchanged. 


This is what I say :

I started this in mid 2019 and I only finish this towards the last day of 2019.  It certainly took me a while.

However, as any books by Maeve Binchy, reading The Glass Lake is rather relaxing and it's quite all right if you didn't read it at one go as reading it is like reading a letter from an aunt about her life and perhaps the lives of her friends.  Why the characters are generally normal people with normal lives and doing normal stuff like studying for exam and going to college, the author can draw readers into this normality and made it very cosy and you just want to know more about them!

However, I didn't like Kit, one of  the main character.  Why did she do what she did?  It's actually very 'kaypoh' of her as in busy-body as we say it as the letter was none of her business.  If  she didn't do what she did, the story line might go a different direction turn out to be different than what took place due to her 'kaypoh-ness'.  In that sense, she robbed her mother of her son and her brother of knowing his mother.  Is it for the better?  We won't know would we? due to what Kid did.

I think this is the last of my copy of titles by Maeve Binchy.  I seems to always say that but then a copy would then turn up somewhere in my shelf.  But seriously, I don't think I will be buying any of her titles as I am on a 'book-buying fast' this year.  hahah...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg