Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill



Synopsis :

Aging, self-absorbed rock star Judas Coyne has a thing for the macabre -- his collection includes sketches from infamous serial killer John Wayne Gacy, a trepanned skull from the 16th century, a used hangman's noose, Aleister Crowley's childhood chessboard, etc. -- so when his assistant tells him about a ghost for sale on an online auction site, he immediately puts in a bid and purchases it.

The black, heart-shaped box that Coyne receives in the mail not only contains the suit of a dead man but also his vengeance-obsessed spirit. The ghost, it turns out, is the stepfather of a young groupie who committed suicide after the 54-year-old Coyne callously used her up and threw her away. Now, determined to kill Coyne and anyone who aids him, the merciless ghost of Craddock McDermott begins his assault on the rocker's sanity.



This is what I say :

I have been so busy with my final assignments that I am feeling so so so stressed.  I missed my reading as I have not been reading for quite a while.

Incidentally, during my recent gate-away, I didn't really have the opportunity to read either.  This was read quite a while ago and only now that it gets a chance here.  Heart-Shaped Box is a horror and a debut novel of Joe Hill.  For a debut novel, it's not too bad..for a horror, it's not too good.  That maybe because I read too  many horror and are pretty jaded so it has to be a real good horror type of horror to make me sit up and take take note. Otherwise, I might yawn myself to the next title.

However, in this case, I am rather curious as a friend seems to like it so I read on to see where the book will take me.  It took me just round the corner and back.  

Will I read another horror? Yes, I will. Will I read another horror by Joe Hill....maybe not for the time being.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books