The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino


Synopsis :

Yasuko Hanaoka is a divorced, single mother who thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day to extort money from her, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter Misato, the situation quickly escalates into violence and Togashi ends up dead on her apartment floor. Overhearing the commotion, Yasuko’s next door neighbor, middle-aged high school mathematics teacher Ishigami, offers his help, disposing not only of the body but plotting the cover-up step-by-step.

When the body turns up and is identified, Detective Kusanagi draws the case and Yasuko comes under suspicion. Kusanagi is unable to find any obvious holes in Yasuko’s manufactured alibi and yet is still sure that there’s something wrong. Kusanagi brings in Dr. Manabu Yukawa, a physicist and college friend who frequently consults with the police. Yukawa, known to the police by the nickname Professor Galileo, went to college with Ishigami. After meeting up with him again, Yukawa is convinced that Ishigami had something to do with the murder. What ensues is a high level battle of wits, as Ishigami tries to protect Yasuko by outmaneuvering and outthinking Yukawa, who faces his most clever and determined opponent yet.
 


This is what I say :

The Devotion of Suspect X came to my possession in the most unexpected way.  It actually was in my possession for more than a month but as I was much occupied then, it kinda was left in the box together with other titles.  It was only during the recent Easter weekend that I went to  where I have been keeping the books to sort them out and from the few boxes, two titles by Keigo Higashino were among them and  The Devotion of Suspect X was one of the titles.

If I am not mistaken, I was introduced to Keigo Higashino's titles quite a few years back and was told that his title was 'dark'.  Such, I approach The Devotion of Suspect X expecting some 'darkness'.  Surprisingly, it wasn't really so.

Without too much expectation and keeping an open mind, I managed to read this book within the week.  It was quite an easy read.  The plot was quite simple but the veil was cast without readers being aware and that kinda showcase the story in a different light.  Basically, it just took one sentence for the veil to be remove and with the story in full light, it cast away the shadows open up my 'aha' moment and I  kinda went 'wow' immediately and I can tell you that I am truly impressed at that point of time.

The intensity of the plot builds up and for once, I was cheering for whom I shall call the antagonist although one can't really consider him such but at the same time I really was cheering Yasuko on and was hoping that she would not make the decision that she made in the end.

Like I mention, I have another tittle by the same author.  I can't wait to find the time to dive in the writing of Keigo Higashino.

So, if you love investigative thriller, do not give this a miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books