Transmission by Hari Kunzru


Synopsis :

The award-winning writer of White Tears and The Impressionist takes an ultra-contemporary turn with the story of an Indian computer programmer whose luxurious fantasies about life in America are shaken when he accepts a California job offer.

Lonely and naive, Arjun spends his days as a lowly assistant virus-tester, pining away for his free-spirited colleague, Christine. Arjun gets laid off like so many of his Silicon Valley peers, and in an act of desperation to keep his job, he releases a mischievous but destructive virus around the globe that has major unintended consequences. As world order unravels, so does Arjun's sanity, in a rollicking cataclysm that reaches Bollywood and, not so coincidentally, the glamorous star of Arjun's favorite Indian movie.


This is what I say :

This book was lost among my other books on the shelves for many years.  I might have bought it during a book warehouse sales....Honestly, I can't remember.  I thought it was a chic lite and I was ready for one but unfortunately, I was wrong. Chic lite it was not.

Transmission is also not a thriller. Comedy? perhaps a bit but again not really.  It's more like a satire directed at the social situation of migrant skilled workers to the holy land of silicon valley?  Anyway, I didn't really like the book.  I find it confusing and at the end of the day, I didn't really know what and where the author's intention and direction with this book.

There's a lot of unknown factors too for example where is Arjun at the end of the book?  Either I missed a clue or it was intentionally written to be so, I really do not know.  

This was read before the MCO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg