Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Synopsis :

Hailsham seems like a pleasant English boarding school, far from the influences of the city. Its students are well tended and supported, trained in art and literature, and become just the sort of people the world wants them to be. But, curiously, they are taught nothing of the outside world and are allowed little contact with it.

Within the grounds of Hailsham, Kathy grows from schoolgirl to young woman, but it’s only when she and her friends Ruth and Tommy leave the safe grounds of the school (as they always knew they would) that they realize the full truth of what Hailsham is.


This is what I say :


Never Let Me Go is a rather unsettling book.  I didn't know what to expect when I picked it from my shelf months ago.   It became my 'traffic light' book, you know, books that I read while waiting for the traffic to turn from red to green and it certainly took me a long time to complete this...months actually but I have read a few books this way so I know it's achievable.

Normally, I would select a title that's light and easy to read and easy to put down too, something does doesn't need me to think but just to keep me company like the Stephanie Plum Series.  However this time round, I might have made a mistake in selecting Never Let Me Go.

.The story is from a perspective of a girl called Kathy and her coming of age in a boarding school with children of similar fate as her.  What fate, you ask?  Well, set in a dystopian society, these children were 'breed' as clones for their organs for their original human beings.  It is a fate that they accepted and never rebel against.  Such is the society and acceptance of the society.

The story really explores the thoughts and emotions of the characters and involves a lot of soul searching.  It would be more appropriate if it was read in a more conducive manner (certainly not in a car in front of a traffic!) to get the best of of it.

It can be thought provoking and sad if one really gets into the characters.  There's actually a movie adaptation for this book and for someone who don't like movie adaptation, I think I would prefer to watch this story rather than to read it.

I like the book but not the environment where I read it.  I certainly didn't do the book justice.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books