Evening Class by Maeve Binchy


Sypnosis :

The Italian evening class at Mountainview School is like hundreds of others starting up all over the city.  But this one has its own special quality - as the focus for the varied hopes and dreams of teachers and students alike.

And by the time the group sets off on the end-of-course trip to Italy, a surprising number of those hopes and dreams have come true - in some odd and unexpected ways.

I have seen quite a few titles by this author when I was at a book sales end of last year.  However, I wasn't really brave enough to invest in her as I just wasn't sure if I would like what she write.  I did, however, pick up a couple of titles with Evening Class being one of them.

My verdict - I should have picked up more. It would have been a good investment because I really enjoy reading Evening Class.  I thought it was wonderfully written with enough character development as well as plot development.  Well...come to think of it, there wasn't really a plot.  I guess I am just taken by the way the author developed the many characters and linked them up with one and another and almost everyone knows someone who knows someone who's related to someone and you get the picture. 

First we have Nora who's the teacher teaching this group of mismatched personality who might not have anything in common with one another if not for their Italian evening class.  Nora's a real delightful character, very insightful, rather eccentric and very much a people person and managed to successful instill much interest and love not just for the Italian language but for the culture as well.

There are many characters to remember but the author managed to make each of them as important as the other.


This book gets an A from me and  I don't mind reading it again :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Book Fair - 2nd Time Around Used Books